Another reason I haven’t been able to update this is because my boyfriend recently got employed by a law firm so we both get home in the evenings and all he wants to do is chill before bedtime – He doesn’t even let me read my magazines which are also piling up! Things adding up is really becoming a reoccuring theme in my life now!
On thursday this week, my friend Eisha from work dragged me to Fashion’s Night Out and it was meant to be a quick walk around, however, we naturally got fazed by all the free champagne, cupcakes and food so we ended up staying until 10ish and had the best time! All/most designer shops were packed with fashion saavy people who we were meant to schmooze but instead we drank ourselves silly and took tons of pictures on the free photobooths which I adore! Especially the tiffany’s one as I’m slightly obsessed with tiffany and co! We also que'd up in an Hermes que for an hour to play a game and win a goodie bag (which only had a pack of cards containing different ways to wear an Hermes scarf) and a bookmark and magazine but oh well, I suppose this is what you do for anything Hermes dahling! I definitely suggest you all go next year and make the most of this fabulously free night out! xoxo
Today was probably the worst day of my interning career! From 9:30am-6:30pm I literally did nothing except build, sellotape, and label 45+ cardboard boxes, and bubble wrap 20+ mannequin's all in preparation of Paris press day (which no, I won't be attending...) So naturally we're just asked to do the dirty work. Grr. On a positive note however, the 2nd picture of the mannequins bare ass really makes me die laughing. We genuinely forgot to wrap it up and then he just looked like a bandaged manneqiun about to be raped! Crazy, it was like a horror film - 'mannequin massacre.' The last picture is of my new Alexander Wang style duffle coco bag, woo. Too bad it's not the real thing but give it a few more years! In the mean time, I'm going to go sleep away the rest of my sorrows from the day and await the beautiful things that tomorrow might bring. Here's to wishful thinking!
I am SO loving everything glitterfied right now, but I am also SO miserable as interning means I’m more or less broke as hell, as well as majorly into my overdraft… Despite this, I’m naturally still looking for amazing glitterfied pieces to torture myself with..
Asos Glitter Heels - £40
Asos Rebel London Glitter Wedges - £40
The first asos pair are so delicious and I love the entwined snakeskin detail. If there’s anything I’ve learnt at Banana Republic – it’s that snakeskin is HUGE this autumn/winter. As for the other 2 pairs of wedges, I’ve looked at them a few times now and sometimes they look so different, yet sometimes so similar. Obviously it makes more sense to opt for the cheaper version but I really like the unusual irregular wedge of the Rebel London Pair. But for a currently pauper intern, am I really in a position to pay £15 for one minor detail change in a pair of shoes? Hmm, I’d say I am!
These pictures are of us preparing for Banana Republic’s press day event coming up in Paris. It’s total chaos
and clothes meltdown and we are only 40% done but somehow we are still alive!
So there you have it folks. The glamour really never ends in PR as you can clearly see hehe. But to all you fellow interns out there, just keep remembering that all our hard work will eventually pay off. Work hard, play harder! But alas, I’ll leave the playing till tomorrow night as tonight I’m off to snooze. Welcome to the wonderful world of fashion PR! xoxo
Working at Banana Republic is really fun and insightful and it let’s me use my creative streak when it comes to pulling outfits for magazines and other press.. But wow, I am SOO exhausted and it’s only been 18 days! In this short space of time, I’ve been given immense amounts of responsibility and really learnt so much so here are some tips from a fashion PR insider (albeit a mere intern – but don’t let this term put you off – I’ve come to believe that starting right at the bottom as an intern is where you get the best information. For example, today I learnt that you have to avoid saying ‘no’ at all times in PR. When a magazine calls and asks you for the most random thing ever, e.g. ‘a vest with a layer of sheer fabric, and panels of leather’ you don’t say ‘WTF?’ but instead you look through 100 boxes and rails of clothing to find something, anything, to suit the brief. I also learnt that my boss is super generous with giving us last season’s samples, yet the other boss on our floor limits her inters to 5 items of clothing per person.. Stingy much? Anyway, Follow these rules religiously and you’ll be employee of the month in no time:
1) Make a list of every single thing you have to do as soon as you get to work. If you think your memory is amazing then you’re wrong and over-confident. In PR, the amount of things you need to do in a day add up and you will have forgotten your day’s agenda by 11am unless it’s all written down. Trust me on this one. Write everything down and then cross it off as the day proceeds. Add things as the day goes on and just keep check listing everything off to make sure you’re on point.
2) Call magazines/newspapers/randomers who have your samples a week after they’ve been sent. AND THEN KEEP CALLING. This bit is super important because I’ve come to learn that no one gives a shit in this industry and it’s very cut throat so you need to look after your samples because other people won’t care enough, simple as. Follow up religiously and call back continuously to get your samples back or you can kiss them goodbye.
3) Be super friendly to everyone. EVERYONE. Postman, milkman, bus driver, colleagues, editors.. Everyone.
4) Learn the basics of photoshop.
5) Have good fashion taste – this means you are not thinking about fashion for you, but rather fashion for everyone. When publications call you about stories, you need to pick samples out from the collection that won’t just appeal to you but will have huge appeal to everyone because that is what makes your brand sell well.
6) Work hard, play harder.
7) And lastly, agree to do any job you’re asked as an intern. However, you can draw the line at walking your boss’s dog and spring cleaning their apartments. You’re an intern, not the hired help. But usually the term to follow is: Try to avoid saying no.
Anyway. Despite religiously following these rules there’s only one thing stopping me from total world domination and that is SLEEP. See you next time amigos xoxo.
PS: Even if you fail to follow the advice given, read the below and remember it, recite it and revolve your life around it because it is the only lesson in life which will take you to where you want and need to be in the long run.
My normally strict WeightWatchers regime was shot to hell this weekend, just like all other weekends. My menu consisted of crisps, chocolate, coffee, coke zero, Chinese noodles, and two random pieces of chicken. However, all I really want now is to transport myself back to Italy for the night to indulge in the best hot chocolate and four-cheese gnocchi ever… Sigh, I’m definitely having a ‘when in Rome’ moment while watching the 2am x-factor repeats. Such an interesting [and fatty] Saturday night hey!
Even though she will probably get a crooked back from continuously stretching up to kiss him, I'm still happy that Kim - the royal bachelorette of LA - has finally been hitched. Though she's a few (and then some) notches more prettier than he is, they're still so cutesy together. Can't wait for the newest show by E "Kris and Kim The Housewife" or something along those lines to be released on TV for the viewing pleasure of her fellow stalkers/fans like myself xoxo